Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Let me count the ways"

I recently read some of Emily Browning's poetry (specifically "Sonnets from a Portuguese"), and I didn't realize how romantic she was, especially during the time period she wrote in with so many political changes with women's rights. "Sonnets from a Portuguese" was written for her husband, though she never indicated his name. Browning's poetry made me think about how much I love my husband and how grateful I am to have in my life. Without him I think I would be completely lost. We love to tell each other, also, that we are each other's best friends :)

Today in church we had an older couple speak to us about marriage. When they introduced their topic, I rolled my eyes and thought, "Here we go again." Yet, I walked out of the meeting extremely enlightened. The whole time they were giving their lesson, I just felt so excited to one day be like them, a bit aged and rough around the edges, but to have learned and grown with my husband. They gave us some tips from couples who are now in their 80s on how to keep a marriage alive. It is my pleasure to share their secrets of a happy marriage to you :)
          1. Men need to know why women are different and women need to know why men are different. If we understand the other gender we are more likely to comply to requests or understand why they need something. (EX: Women need to talk A LOT!)
  1. Make lasting memories together and do not miss important events. They estimated that we will have at least 60 Christmases, birthdays, New Years, etc with our spouse. When you think about it that way, that is a lot!
  2. There is no such thing as a perfect marriage, just perfect moments. This was my favorite :) It makes you realize that you don't need to sweat the small stuff, just enjoy each other.
  3. Quantity of quality time is crucial to a marriage. Even when life gets busy, it's important to take just 5 minutes of quality time together.
  4. Do not be offended. Many times we don't mean to offend; it just comes out the wrong way or the receiver takes it the wrong way.
  5. Infuse your marriage with Christ. Enough said!
This is such a beautiful list and has so many ideas that I hope to incorporate throughout my married life.

2 comments: