Sunday, July 24, 2011

Connections

This weekend I have thought a lot about the relationships we have with people and the connections we make with others. This started at about 1 am in the morning with Erin and Caitlin keeping Carl and me up way past our bedtime ;) We got into a deep discussion (probably because it was 1 in the morning!) but Carl mentioned that we will just naturally make connections with some people, while there will be no connection with another. We didn't know the reason for this, but it made me think about the various relationships I have made during my past 22 years. I have always been described as a person who meshes well with others, and I generally get along with everyone. But who have I made those deep connections with?

My Grandpa Day lost his wife almost a year ago. This was the first death I had experienced, and it still gets me sometimes. Yesterday we received a graduation card from him and he mentioned how proud my grandma would be of me and I just started crying. One of the biggest connections he made in this lifetime is gone and now he is alone until they meet again.

I have only had a few true best friends and I always thought that my connection with them would outlast time. And then I got married. I can't believe how connected I feel to Carl; he is my one true love and my absolute best friend. I never want to lose that earthly connection with him like my Grandpa did, which is why I think I am so terrified that one day Carl will be taken from me. But then I remember that we, just like my Grandpa & Grandma, were sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. I am able to have this connection, this marriage, with Carl for ALWAYS. I can't think of a greater happiness.


2 comments:

  1. I love this. And I love you. You're just so good at writing everything!!! I'm so happy I got to keep you two up REALLY late this weekend. It was worth being tired all day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post nearly brought me to tears! Beautifully written Alisa. Sometimes ill randomly start crying for grandma and my grandpa Martinez. I've found the grieving process to be a weird thing. I know grandma is proud of you, and I'm so grateful families are forever!

    ReplyDelete